Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

⚖ Official August 2021 LSAT Discussion Thread ⚖

Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
edited October 2021 in August 2021 LSAT 5740 karma

Hey 7Sagers,

Here's the official August 2021 LSAT Discussion Thread.

Please keep all discussions of the August 2021 LSAT here!

Rules:
You can identify experimental sections. 🙆‍♀️
You can say things such as the following:

• I had two LGs! Was the LG with "flowers" real or experimental?
  • I had two RCs! Was the section that starts with the honeybee passage real?
  • I had three LRs! Does anyone know if the first LR section with the goose question is real?”

You can't discuss specific questions. 🙅‍♂️
You CANNOT say things such as the following:

• Hey, the 3rd LG was sequencing and the last one was In/Out, right? (Don't mention the game type)
  • The last question in the first LR section was a lawgic heavy MBT! Was the answer (B)? (Don't mention the question type or ask what the answer was)
  • What was the answer for the last question of RC? I think it was an inference question? Was the answer (C)? (Don't mention the question type or ask what the answer was)

Comments

• kckelley25kckelley25 Member
    108 karma

I just finished! I had two RCs. One of them went really well and one of them I was really struggling so hoping that one was experimental :(

• wsowellwsowell Free Trial Member
    64 karma

Two RCs is the situation I am dreading the most. Just seems like it would be the most mentally draining for me.

• JustaKidJustaKid Member
    114 karma

I also had 2 RC sections, felt both were on the more difficult scale but one definitely harder than the other! LG was fairly easy and straightforward, LR also felt standard nothing out of this world. Good luck all!

• dawgslaw123dawgslaw123 Alum Member
    138 karma

About to start. Will report back after. 2 RCs will make me sad. But I got this.

• Lime Green DotLime Green Dot Member
    edited August 2021 1384 karma

Hey y'all! Just finished and had 2 RCs as well! LG-RC-LR-RC

LG seemed OK, LR seemed standard too. Felt 2nd RC was harder than the first.

1st RC: Winter's case/Native Americans + Don Quixote + Red light shift + GDP
    2nd RC: Sentence reduction + Krauss/Universe from Nothing + Some photographer & apertures + Nigerian languages

Memory's shot for the other passage topics. Will addend if I can think of them! Added more passage topics, per discussion below! :)

• 81 karma

did anyone use command f?? is that fine?

1384 karma

Totally fine to use @mikaylacastagna !

• 8 karma

@"Lime Green Dot" I had the same RCs. Iirc the first section had one passage about red light shift and one about GDP, and the second had one about Nigerian languages?

1384 karma

Yup, those were it! @butterfly_soup

• 81 karma

@"Lime Green Dot" said:
    Totally fine to use @mikaylacastagna !

perfect- I was scared I would get flagged haha. so the proctor won't say anything?

108 karma

I used command f so many times and my proctor never said anything

@mikaylacastagna Nope. She was resistant to my having pens on the desk at first (tho ironically, never used them lol), but I politely asserted that LSAC allows them, and she let me carry on.

At one point, she asked me to change the angle of my webcam, but besides that, no interruptions for the entire exam.

1-minute breaks still in effect b/w sections. I think I even had an EXTRA minute AFTER the 10-minute break following section 2!

The "check-out" process was slightly prolonged. My proctor went AWOL for 15-ish minutes, but finally reconnected. I was like thinking, come on lady, I have to peeeee!!

• avidlsatqueenavidlsatqueen Core Member
    edited August 2021 58 karma

@kckelley25 said:
    I just finished! I had two RCs. One of them went really well and one of them I was really struggling so hoping that one was experimental :(

Me too! The second one was quite hard for me. @"Lime Green Dot" said:

2nd RC: Sentence reduction + Krauss/Universe from Nothing + Some photographer & apertures + Nigerian languages

Memory's shot for the other passage topics. Will addend if I can think of them! Added more passage topics, per discussion below! :)

Seems I had the same one! The first RC was so much easier:(

• avidlsatqueenavidlsatqueen Core Member
    58 karma

For those of you who had two RCs (I did too): do you think you did significantly worse on the second?

edited August 2021 108 karma

@avidlsatqueen yeah I had those same two sections! Definitely felt like I did significantly worse on the second rip. Literally barely had time to fill in my last answer choice. No time to review anything :(

• edited August 2021 96 karma

Hi all, congratulations for finishing your LSAT and good luck to those writing. I have a quick question - do the LG and LR sections change for different days of the test or do they stay the same? Just wondering because so far, everyone seems to say they’ve been standard and I’m hoping mine isn’t too difficult. Thanks!

• catbellycatbelly Core Member
    198 karma

Had the same experience as most on here! LG-RC-LR-RC. The second RC was significantly harder and I actually felt the LR was tricky as well. The LG was straightforward and hopefully it’ll be my saving grace. Good luck to all!!!

• What did y'all do with scrap papers after the test? Do the proctors ask you to throw them away or something?

1384 karma

@tealeavesbreadloaves after my Proctor reappeared, she asked me to shred each sheet (whether or not it had been used) in front of the camera. I think it might be arbitrary how many times you have to rip them up each, but I just sliced and diced 3x per sheet.

Then I reconfirmed whether the checkout process was complete and only AFTER receiving the chatbox confirmation (it can also be verbal) that it was, I exited the ProctorU screen.

• catbellycatbelly Core Member
    198 karma

@tealeavesbreadloaves said:
    What did y'all do with scrap papers after the test? Do the proctors ask you to throw them away or something?

My proctor didn’t ask but the rules say to rip it up in front of the webcam. So I asked my proctor and he said to rip up all pages even unused in front of the camera.

• AJamal22AJamal22 Member
    edited August 2021 205 karma

@"Lime Green Dot" How were the LG games and the LR? Did you find them trickier then usual or about the same? Did you attend the Powerscore Crystal Ball and see any similarities? Thanks!

@lsatstudying-1, yes, my understanding is there can be different LR/RC/LG sections or "forms". Not sure how many of these different forms/this LSAT there are, tho.

• Gr8, thanks guys! Also, found this:

• teeksd9898teeksd9898 Member
    112 karma

I had LG-RC-LR-RC. difficulty level of the first RC felt way, way easier than the second. not sure which one is the experimental, but fingers crossed it's the one we all found difficult.

• madibulotmadibulot Core Member
    edited August 2021 9 karma

2 RC's as well. LG-RC-LR-RC

64 karma

@"Lime Green Dot" If they change the scored sections, then the scoring scale wouldn't be truly fair, would it? I know the experimental can be different for every person, but I don't understand how they could be different scoring sections. Unless they have a way of determining different sections as equal levels of difficulty, then substituting equal level sections for each other, but that is just me. I could be wrong.

1384 karma

I thought they had different scoring scales based on the unique section combinations, @wsowell?

• ban3rcban3rc Member
    74 karma

Anyone not have 2 RC? I am trying to figure out which one was the experimental section.

64 karma

@"Lime Green Dot" I thought the scoring scale was based on each variation of the test given, which I assumed meant each month the test was administered. I.E. the August 2021test was all the same, then October would be different. Not that August 14 was different than august 15, etc.

Again, I could be completely wrong.

1384 karma

@wsowell I see what you mean. I'm not sure then, but whenever I hear the Powerscore scale prediction range analysis podcast eps, it seemed like the range was based on the combo of sections one got. I could also be wrong on that lol, but I guess both scenarios are conceivable.

Anyone care to clarify?

1384 karma

@ban3rc, YES!! Would love to know, too.

1384 karma

It was interesting to see the text sources for RC passages at the end of the test. There was the predictable bunch, ala The Economist and NYT. I also saw a couple of article from Financial Times and one from an ACLU publication.

• csharm002csharm002 Member
    352 karma

@kckelley25 said:

Same thing happened to me!!

352 karma

@"Lime Green Dot" said:

I had the same. I thought the first section of RC was WAY harder than the second. Ahhh...I hope the better one counted.

352 karma

@avidlsatqueen said:
    For those of you who had two RCs (I did too): do you think you did significantly worse on the second?

I seem to be the outlier here, but I thought I did significantly better on the second. I ran out of time on the first section and had to guess for most of the last passage, and I really did not feel as confident. It could have been nerves though and I was just more focused in on the second one. Either way, RC was tough!

• acquadiiceacquadiice Core Member
    121 karma

LG-RC-LR-RC

2nd RC was way harder than the first, LR was pretty tough too... overall this was a pretty tough exam

• LawSk00LLawSk00L Core Member
    85 karma

Just took the exam, I also had LG-RC-LR-RC

Getting a little nervous that that everyone is saying the second RC was harder, because I thought the it was easier. But I guess we'll see!

• ssisney-1ssisney-1 Member
    4 karma

How long did the entire exam process take you guys??

• cnc32_lsatcnc32_lsat Member
    6 karma

@ssisney said:
    How long did the entire exam process take you guys??

My start time was 9:10. I got a proctor right away and my check in didn't take too long. I finished up right at 12:00.

• wolfpack714wolfpack714 Member
    30 karma

Really hope the harder RC was the experimental bc the last passage was so wonky. nothing like the writing in RC passages in the past!!

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    606 karma

2RCs is brutal depending on your state of flow.

2LGs would be nicer if you don't get tripped up and have it ruin your confidence.

I wonder if the next few days we'l see 2LRs and 2LGs...probably.

64 karma

@whatsmyname I'm really hoping so. I could see LSAC having a stock pile of LR already since there used to be two sections per test, but a second LG would make sense. My preferred would be two LGs for sure.

• smarsh13smarsh13 Free Trial Member
    8 karma

@wsowell said:
    @whatsmyname I'm really hoping so. I could see LSAC having a stock pile of LR already since there used to be two sections per test, but a second LG would make sense. My preferred would be two LGs for sure.

i heard it's unlikely we'll get an LG experimental because LSAC is changing the LG section in the future... has anyone else heard this? i'm really hoping for two LG sections. two RC sections is my worst nightmare lol

64 karma

@smarsh13 I haven't heard that. I hope they don't. To me that is what makes the lsat different than other test. But yes, 2 RC is worst nightmare for sure.

• ericyang-1ericyang-1 Member
    31 karma

i heard it's unlikely we'll get an LG experimental because LSAC is changing the LG section in the future... has anyone else heard this? i'm really hoping for two LG sections. two RC sections is my worst nightmare lol

My tutor told me about this. There was a lawsuit about the difficulties of the LG section for blind students so the LSAT is going to rotate out the LSAT within some time frame

138 karma

@csharm002 said:

@avidlsatqueen said:

I seem to be the outlier here, but I thought I did significantly better on the second. I ran out of time on the first section and had to guess for most of the last passage, and I really did not feel as confident. It could have been nerves though and I was just more focused in on the second one. Either way, RC was tough!

THIS.

138 karma

Good luck to all taking it down the road. I had: RC-LG-LR-RC.

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    606 karma

@wsowell said:

>
    thing is I always find one LR significantly easier than the other. I'll go -1 and -5 to-7 on the other :s

I would hate to f--- up the section that counts

• nancyngo917nancyngo917 Core Member
    12 karma

@dawgslaw123 said:
    Good luck to all taking it down the road. I had: RC-LG-LR-RC.

Oh it looks like you had a different order of RC than me. Did you have the same passage topics?

• AngR.567AngR.567 Member
    85 karma

@"Lime Green Dot" said:
    It was interesting to see the text sources for RC passages at the end of the test. There was the predictable bunch, ala The Economist and NYT. I also saw a couple of article from Financial Times and one from an ACLU publication.

Definitely going to start reading The Economist to prep for the October exam lol. Business and science related RC passages are my worst.