Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying for the LSAT while working full time

alyssamcc0593alyssamcc0593 Alum Member
in General 290 karma

Does anyone have any advice on staying motivated while working full time. I try to do 3-4 hours every day after work, but some days I am just so exhausted.

I started studying in March, and was planning on taking in June, but I pushed it back to September because I didn't feel ready.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• taylor.lingltaylor.lingl Alum Member
    22 karma

Following! As I am in the same boat...feeling that burn out.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2017 23929 karma

@alyssamccain0593 said:
    Does anyone have any advice on staying motivated while working full time. I try to do 3-4 hours every day after work, but some days I am just so exhausted.

I started studying in March, and was planning on taking in June, but I pushed it back to September because I didn't feel ready.

I truly, truly feel you. Nearly drove myself insane. Took a leave around Easter and did some reflecting. I won't be returning to my old position & found a more manageable position.

Re: Motivation: Hmm... Don't rely on it. Too Fleeting and you just can't control it enough for it to be reliable. You need to develop the discipline to sort of just "do it" if motivation is truly the issue. Another thing to consider is studying before work instead of after. We just naturally lose motivation and will power throughout the day, so studying in the morning might be the better play here.

Another thing that motivated me for a while were the lawyers/mentors I knew. I knew I was either going to stay working where I was or switch to law. Either way I was going to be working even more crazy hours. Part of me just kind of told myself: "If you can't handle this, don't even pursue law."

However, If you're job is too demanding, and is such that you don't ever think you'll be able to make it work, that's a different problem entirely that calls for more than motivation. There's a razor thin margin between tragedy and hell. Pushing off test dates can be tragic; burning yourself out psychologically to do so can be hell.

• napiershnapiersh Alum Member
    23 karma

I am also in the same situation. I was taking classes full time, working full time and trying to study for the LSAT...disaster... burnout! I decided to push back the June test to September as well. Thankfully my job has a lull in the summer months so I am finding more time to study while at work ...I realize everyone cant do this. However, make the most of the time you have! Take little breaks throughout the day to work on a problem here or there or to study your flash cards. I like what Alex Divine said, discipline rather than motivation has got to be the key. My motivation is to get out of a dead end job but I definitely need the discipline to make it happen. Like Alex Divine said, maybe doing some work in the am would help. Also giving yourself a target amount of hours per day and breaking them up throughout the day could help as well ( a couple hours before work, thirty minutes at lunch, a couple hours before dinner..whatever works for you). You can do it!

• dfletch5dfletch5 Alum Member
    260 karma

I am in the same boat as well. I have a break in the summer. So, I'll be able to get two-Hour blocks for studying in the AM and PM. For now, I think you should concentrate on doing the most you can in 60 or 90 minute segments. So, that you can continue to move forward. There is a concept called the 20-mile march that works well here. Do something everyday even if it seems like it's not a lot because doing keeps you moving forward and that's motivating -:)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@dfletch5 said:
    I am in the same boat as well. I have a break in the summer. So, I'll be able to get two-Hour blocks for studying in the AM and PM. For now, I think you should concentrate on doing the most you can in 60 or 90 minute segments. So, that you can continue to move forward. There is a concept called the 20-mile march that works well here. Do something everyday even if it seems like it's not a lot because doing keeps you moving forward and that's motivating -:)

Love the "20-mile march" mindset! So accurate. Just do something everyday. My biggest regret is always feeling like I either had to study 4-6 hours daily or I couldn't do anything at all.

• 13 karma

I also work full time and am studying. It's difficult, stressful and exhausting. I'm lucky enough to also have time at work to study, which honestly makes this experience much easier for me. Like it's been mentioned before, that isn't an option for everyone. I tend to stay more motivated when I am busy, which isn't the case for everyone, but maybe try that? If I keep myself busy at work, whether it's studying or actual work, I try to keep my mind going the whole time. If I can manage that, then by the time I get home, I'm still motivated to keep going because of all that I've accomplished in the day so far. If your job allows a lunch break, ALWAYS use it to study and eat. That's an hour that you can get out of the way during the day before you get home to cram in another few.

I know it's really difficult to do, but know you're not alone! We're all here for you and share any tips you might come up with!

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

Great points on here. I like the 20-mile march mentality of getting things done, but a "major key" ;) is putting some work and studying in the mornings, like @"Alex Divine" mentioned. I had to remember that it's really about quality and not quantity.

I definitely feel you on being drained after work. I am a bilingual primary school teacher, and finding the motivation to study after work is very tough.

I usually "study" (and I quote studying because, really, how many times do you hear people say they study X amount of time, but a good portion of that time is spent being distracted) about 3 hours a day during the workweek, but I found myself to be much more effective doing 1 hour in the mornings, and the other 2 (or more if I could) in the evenings.

Lastly, having a sense of urgency really helps as well. Naturally, we tend to get our shit together when we know there's a deadline. Similarly with the LSAT, this is the last cycle I can push back due to other upcoming commitments in the next few years (marriage, children, etc), so I really had to adapt the "do or die" mentality. Having a set deadline motivates me to do my best to get this over with. Although I'm sure it can be difficult to adapt such a mentality when there is no rush, I'd say to have a set, reasonable deadline in mind, and make it your goal to have it done by then.

Best of luck to you. Hang in there, believe in yourself, and as the great Jimmy V said, "Don't give up.. Don't ever give up!"

• Maddie D.Maddie D. Alum Member
    325 karma

Hi :) I've been studying for months (got the starter pack here to really hammer the last few techniques I need to master into my tired brain) so like you, I've been at this for what feels like a lifetime. I 100% hear you. It's a long haul. I work full time as an editor from home which sounds like an advantage (and it is in some senses - i.e. pajamas all day, schedule flexibility, etc) but the guilt I feel if I'm not working or studying at any given moment every single day is kind of crushing. I once got to a point where even taking time to watch an episode of a TV show or eat a meal made me feel guilty, so I guess the tip I can offer is to be kind to yourself and be really attuned to what your mind needs. As we speak, I'm hitting a wall that I'm sure we're all familiar with.

As much as I want to beat the crap out of myself until everything clicks perfectly, I know I need to take the rest of tonight off. It sounds simple but for people like us who are determined to get a great score, remembering that burnout is real is so important. I kid you not, I almost threw my chair out of the window a few months back because I refused to stop working and studying nonstop haha There's a fine line between being disciplined and flat-out abusing yourself. Another tip for anyone else who may work remotely is that a change of scenery can really work wonders, not just because it's good to adjust to new surroundings in preparation for test day, but because you can take it from me: If you sit in the same chair for 14 hours a day, you will go insane. Science. Hope any of that helps!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

We only have so much energy, work eats up so much of it, and LSAT just can't be worked on effectively once that energy is exhausted. It's a huge problem, but there are ways to manage it more/less effectively. While I was working, I always liked to consciously think of it as an issue of energy management. Eat well, get enough sleep, and exercise in order to maximize how much energy you're starting with every day. Lifestyle has a huge impact. And definitely study in the mornings before work drains you. You'll be spending your evenings studying otherwise, so just use that time to sleep instead. That way you can study while you're fresh.

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

I feel you, I got off work today at 3pm and I'm trying to study until 8 tonight. I sat last December when I was vastly unprepared, and on top of that it was during finals week. My advice would be to not set a firm date to take, take it when you're ready. I've back at it since Feb and I hope I'm ready in December.

I would recommend the same as everyone here is saying. We are all different and learn different ways. Just don't quit. Also, I don't know how old you are, but don't rush it. I won't start my first year until I'm 34 years old.

Anyways, good luck! I'm going to get back to this stuff! (as my little dog barks at me for attention)

• alyssamcc0593alyssamcc0593 Alum Member
    290 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@alyssamccain0593 said:

I truly, truly feel you. Nearly drove myself insane. Took a leave around Easter and did some reflecting. I won't be returning to my old position & found a more manageable position.

Re: Motivation: Hmm... Don't rely on it. Too Fleeting and you just can't control it enough for it to be reliable. You need to develop the discipline to sort of just "do it" if motivation is truly the issue. Another thing to consider is studying before work instead of after. We just naturally lose motivation and will power throughout the day, so studying in the morning might be the better play here.

Another thing that motivated me for a while were the lawyers/mentors I knew. I knew I was either going to stay working where I was or switch to law. Either way I was going to be working even more crazy hours. Part of me just kind of told myself: "If you can't handle this, don't even pursue law."

However, If you're job is too demanding, and is such that you don't ever think you'll be able to make it work, that's a different problem entirely that calls for more than motivation. There's a razor thin margin between tragedy and hell. Pushing off test dates can be tragic; burning yourself out psychologically to do so can be hell.

Thank you so much for your advice! It was really helpful. I have met a few lawyers/mentors and that have definitely helped with my mindset of wanting to go to law school and getting a realistic picture of what life will be like after. I work as a financial analyst right now, and while it can be fun sometimes, something has always drawn me to law. So I am hoping that motivation of me wanting to be a lawyer will get me through this!

It is nice to see I am not alone in experiencing working full time while studying. For some reason I thought it was all K-JD people.

• alyssamcc0593alyssamcc0593 Alum Member
    290 karma

Thank you so much to everyone for your advice! Glad to know I am not alone in this situation! Just taking it one step at a time and hoping September/December goes well :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"distasio.madeline" said:
    Hi :) I've been studying for months (got the starter pack here to really hammer the last few techniques I need to master into my tired brain) so like you, I've been at this for what feels like a lifetime. I 100% hear you. It's a long haul. I work full time as an editor from home which sounds like an advantage (and it is in some senses - i.e. pajamas all day, schedule flexibility, etc) but the guilt I feel if I'm not working or studying at any given moment every single day is kind of crushing. I once got to a point where even taking time to watch an episode of a TV show or eat a meal made me feel guilty, so I guess the tip I can offer is to be kind to yourself and be really attuned to what your mind needs. As we speak, I'm hitting a wall that I'm sure we're all familiar with.

As much as I want to beat the crap out of myself until everything clicks perfectly, I know I need to take the rest of tonight off. It sounds simple but for people like us who are determined to get a great score, remembering that burnout is real is so important. I kid you not, I almost threw my chair out of the window a few months back because I refused to stop working and studying nonstop haha There's a fine line between being disciplined and flat-out abusing yourself. Another tip for anyone else who may work remotely is that a change of scenery can really work wonders, not just because it's good to adjust to new surroundings in preparation for test day, but because you can take it from me: If you sit in the same chair for 14 hours a day, you will go insane. Science. Hope any of that helps!

@alyssamccain0593 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@alyssamccain0593 said:

Thank you so much for your advice! It was really helpful. I have met a few lawyers/mentors and that have definitely helped with my mindset of wanting to go to law school and getting a realistic picture of what life will be like after. I work as a financial analyst right now, and while it can be fun sometimes, something has always drawn me to law. So I am hoping that motivation of me wanting to be a lawyer will get me through this!

It is nice to see I am not alone in experiencing working full time while studying. For some reason I thought it was all K-JD people.

No problem! Not a K-JD graduated in 2015 :)

Coincidentally, we also had the same job. (not sure what shop you're at...) but I generally was working 60 hours with some extra time sprinkled in when needed. I also feel a pull to law, or at the very least, I think I would be better suited for the type of mindset it requires. My mind is still pretty open to a top MBA program or something that would allow me to work as an associate level at an iBank. I'm definitely going to apply to some dual programs if I can get the test scores I need.

Just know you never have to feel alone. Feel free to message me anytime! I truly mean it.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

There's a fine line between being disciplined and flat-out abusing yourself.

Truer words!

I finally had to learn this before throwing myself off the roof. The best advice I've been given is just to stay consistent. Without consistency there will be no progress. If all you can commit to is 1 hour a day, do the one hour a day no. matter. what. I currently can only do 2 hours a day Monday-Friday which is OK since I'm giving myself a year to study. The burnout from work, travel, running a house, and a sick mom was just too much. So in honor of self-care I told myself to dedicate two hours every day and take the weekend to breathe. Only two hours a day may not work for everyone, especially if you're aiming to take the test this year but whatever time you choose to commit to, don't beat yourself up about not being able to do more. This is your journey and your success, live in it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2017 23929 karma

@tringo335 said:

Truer words!

I finally had to learn this before throwing myself off the roof. The best advice I've been given is just to stay consistent. Without consistency there will be no progress. If all you can commit to is 1 hour a day, do the one hour a day no. matter. what. I currently can only do 2 hours a day Monday-Friday which is OK since I'm giving myself a year to study. The burnout from work, travel, running a house, and a sick mom was just too much. So in honor of self-care I told myself to dedicate two hours every day and take the weekend to breathe. Only two hours a day may not work for everyone, especially if you're aiming to take the test this year but whatever time you choose to commit to, don't beat yourself up about not being able to do more. This is your journey and your success, live in it.

God, I wish I had your wisdom 6 months ago @tringo335 This is exactly the best advice for everyone :)

3679 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

Truer words!

God, I wish I had your wisdom 6 months ago @tringo335 This is exactly the best advice for everyone :)

:wink:

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

I totally understand, as do many of us. I started studying mid January with the plan to work 30 hours a week, go to school full time, and effectively study for the LSAT. I was planning to sit for the June LSAT and realized quite quickly that this would likely not be the case. I decided to postpone to September and take the summer to work full-time and do PT's/drill weaknesses. I agree that you should try to do something every day, but also know when to preserve your sanity. For instance, I take a PT every Monday and BR throughout the week after work/watch explanations, etc. But I literally came home from work on Tuesday and felt like a train had hit me. I still BR'ed some of the test, but I definitely did not do as much as I had originally planned. Just be flexible with yourself and your feelings. Try to squeeze in the extra time in the AM if you can, whether that means an hour or just 30 minutes. I typically do not like to do LSAT related stuff on my lunch break because given the fact that I work at a work comp firm, I often need to turn my brain off for a second. Between the clients and the adjusters, it can be awful! After work I come home and relax for about half an hour, then dive in. Just remember that your brain is just like a muscle and you cannot over due it every single day or you will just burnout and hurt yourself (figuratively speaking). The hardest lesson I have heard through this process of juggling LSAT/school/work is to give myself a break. In regards to finding time to work out, for what it's worth, there is a workout system that you can find videos on youtube for free called "Body Rock." I really like this because you can find killer work outs that only take 12 minutes! They totally kick your butt and you actually felt like you've accomplished something physically great without sucking up an hour of your time. This is the only way I am able to workout throughout the school year, also because a lot of the workouts can be completed at home! Just don't forget, this will all be worth it. The LSAT is a humbling experience to say the least... But when you finally see the results and start scoring in your target zone, it will be the best feeling. (I personally have not gotten here yet but I know we all will who have not already!!) Take the mini wins like getting a problem set correct throughout the CC. This is what helped keep me going during tough times/exhaustion! :)

• Maddie D.Maddie D. Alum Member
    325 karma

@tringo335 said:

So in honor of self-care I told myself to dedicate two hours every day and take the weekend to breathe.

That was the key for me right there! Exhausted, beaten-up minds won't serve us well on test day (or any day for that matter). Glad there's a lot of support here for all of us :)

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    edited June 2017 1184 karma

I work full time as a Court Clerk and it can be the most psychologically exhausting job in the world and sometimes I can be extremely overwhelmed with all that I have going on. I have been studying since January and here are the tips I would give to somebody else.
    - Eat a healthy breakfast: (how you start the day makes a huge difference for energy). I do oatmeal with flax seed, chia seeds, and fruit. I also have limited my sugar intake. Sugar makes me soooo sleepy which does not help with studying.
    -Exercise: Sometimes I come home feeling completely defeated with life, but taking a run or doing an exercise class makes a big difference in my attitude and helps clears my mind before I jump into studying.
    -Be kind to yourself:There are days that you will come home and go straight to bed because you are so tired. Sometimes getting some extra rest gives you that pick me up to dive into an amazing study session. Just make sure that you are not doing this everyday lol.
    -Be reasonable: I know after a work day there is no way in hell that I have any energy to complete a PT. So I utilize my week to blind review, complete problem sets, and drill. Also in terms of scheduling be reasonable with that too. I have come to realize it may take me longer to be ready then somebody who is not working and can commit their whole day to studying.
    -Eliminate distractions: I would come home and watch a show or two on my DVR to relax before studying and then before you know it is 8pm. I have cut my cable because I realize how distracting it was. I will rely on streaming services to watch shows during the weekend if need be and take a short break to relax or run and dive straight into it. Now instead of watching cable all day, I can actually be productive during the weekends. Real Housewives will always be there.
    -Find something that keeps you going: Though I have seen in the thread that motivation is not something to rely on, I sure do rely on motivation to keep me disciplined and remember to keep my eye on the prize. My personal motivation is my job. Though it is not something I enjoy, I have stayed at my job for the network I have built. Talking to judges and attorneys everyday allows me to pick their brain for advice and shows me what life I can have with hard work and dedication. When I see my friends in the DAs office kicking ass in trial,taking super long lunches, dressing sharp, driving nice cars, and doing big things in the criminal justice system that sure as hell motivates me to keep studying for this test. It is short term pain for a long time gain. I have also made a motivational poster with quotes with my target school that I read every day.

I hope people find these tips helpful, it is nice that us full timers are not alone in this community.

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

i wish i could quit my job and focus 100% on the lsat, study 4 hours in the morning 4 in the afternoon, practice test every other day.. ohh the dreams we dream, like my boy @"Alex Divine" , BUT I gotta hustle twice as hard.

3679 karma

@ElleWoods77 said:
    I work full time as a Court Clerk and it can be the most psychologically exhausting job in the world and sometimes I can be extremely overwhelmed with all that I have going on. I have been studying since January and here are the tips I would give to somebody else.
    - Eat a healthy breakfast: (how you start the day makes a huge difference for energy). I do oatmeal with flax seed, chia seeds, and fruit. I also have limited my sugar intake. Sugar makes me soooo sleepy which does not help with studying.
    -Exercise: Sometimes I come home feeling completely defeated with life, but taking a run or doing an exercise class makes a big difference in my attitude and helps clears my mind before I jump into studying.
    -Be kind to yourself:There are days that you will come home and go straight to bed because you are so tired. Sometimes getting some extra rest gives you that pick me up to dive into an amazing study session. Just make sure that you are not doing this everyday lol.
    -Be reasonable: I know after a work day there is not way in hell that I have any energy to complete a PT. So I utilize my week to blind review, complete problem sets, and drill. Also in terms of scheduling be reasonable with that too. I have come to realize it may take me longer to be ready then somebody who is not working and can commit their whole day to studying.
    -Eliminate distractions: I would come home and watch a show or two on my DVR to relax before studying and then before you know it is 8pm. I have cut my cable because I realize how distracting it was. I will rely on streaming services to watch shows during the weekend if need be and take a short break to relax or run and dive straight into it. Now instead of watching cable all day, I can actually be productive during the weekends. Real Housewives will always be there.
    -Find something that keeps you going: Though I have seen in the thread that motivation is not something to rely on, I sure do rely on motivation to keep me disciplined and remember to keep my eye on the prize. My personal motivation is my job. Though it is not something I enjoy, I have stayed at my job for the network I have built. Talking to judges and attorneys everyday allows me to pick their brain for advice and shows me what life I can have with hard work and dedication. When I see my friends in the DAs office kicking ass in trial,taking super long lunches, dressing sharp, driving nice cars, and doing big things in the criminal justice system that sure as hell motivates me to keep studying for this test. It is short term pain for a long time gain. I have also made a motivational poster with quotes with my target school that I read every day.

I hope people find these tips helpful, it is nice that us full timers are not alone in this community.

I love this!!!

• dfletch5dfletch5 Alum Member
    260 karma

@tringo335 @"Alex Divine" @"Cant Get Right" Actually, Tringo335's explanation is the 20-mile match. You commit to the same amount of time everyday or for as many days as you can, and you focus on quality, not quantity. Thanks, Tringo! I love your attitude and approach!

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

@ElleWoods77 said:
    Thank you girl,the list keeps growing everyday which I don't mind sharing. I talk to a bunch of attorneys everyday who tell me what they did so I take their tips and see what works for me :).

@tringo335 said:

@ElleWoods77 said:
    -Be reasonable: I know after a work day there is not way in hell that I have any energy to complete a PT. So I utilize my week to blind review, complete problem sets, and drill. Also in terms of scheduling be reasonable with that too. I have come to realize it may take me longer to be ready then somebody who is not working and can commit their whole day to studying.

I love this!!!

Thank you girl,the list keeps growing everyday which I don't mind sharing. I talk to a bunch of attorneys everyday who tell me what they did so I take their tips and see what works for me :).

• smcateesmcatee Member
    10 karma

I stay late and study at work for a few hours! This helps me concentrate and eliminates the temptation to crawl into bed once I'm home!

• hhhiser_06hhhiser_06 Alum Member
    46 karma

I work full time and am also a full time parent, so I know the difficulty of craving out time for studying. I will echo all the really helpful comments from others that a little bit of studying everyday is the best method to achieving success. I find that during my lunch break if I can drill some LSAT questions and then spend time reviewing them it is very helpful. I also try to spend about 45 minutes in the morning drinking coffee and reviewing notes while getting ready for work and I try to spend an hour at night after my daughter goes to bed to study concepts or do a lesson. If you are able to get a study buddy in your area that is helpful because it keeps you accountable to someone. My study buddy and I meet almost every weekend at least once, and sometimes twice, to take a practice test or review concepts.

Finally, to avoid burnout, I make an effort to read a fun book after studying and listen to an interesting podcast. Of course, if you have time to exercise that is also very helpful at least 15 to minutes just to clear your head. (If you have a kid, an unplanned dance party with him or her is really good at lifting your spirits. My daughter and I have a standing dance party every night before she goes to bed.)

edited June 2017 3679 karma

@dfletch5 said:
    @tringo335 @"Alex Divine" @"Cant Get Right" Actually, Tringo335's explanation is the 20-mile match. You commit to the same amount of time everyday or for as many days as you can, and you focus on quality, not quantity. Thanks, Tringo! I love your attitude and approach!

anytime!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

While I think that being flexible is important, I think it is just as important to make a schedule and stick to it. Believe it or not, I feel that I am much more productive with less time to study as opposed to having more. I know that two hours every morning is my study time for the day so I make sure to make the most out of it by planning in advance and knowing exactly what I am going to do. If I can get an hour or two on the train or at work, that is just a bonus. But I think that by sticking to a schedule, you get less stressed and less burnout because you know exactly what you are going to do and when you are going to do it. Not only that, there is an end in sight. I know that as soon as I finish whatever I set out to do, I don't need to study the rest of the day if I don't want to; I already met my daily goal. This goes both ways because I can go golfing or workout or whatever and not feel guilty about taking the afternoon off (even though I am usually to tired to study when I get home from work anyways).

Hope this helps!

3679 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    While I think that being flexible is important, I think it is just as important to make a schedule and stick to it. Believe it or not, I feel that I am much more productive with less time to study as opposed to having more. I know that two hours every morning is my study time for the day so I make sure to make the most out of it by planning in advance and knowing exactly what I am going to do. If I can get an hour or two on the train or at work, that is just a bonus. But I think that by sticking to a schedule, you get less stressed and less burnout because you know exactly what you are going to do and when you are going to do it. Not only that, there is an end in sight. I know that as soon as I finish whatever I set out to do, I don't need to study the rest of the day if I don't want to; I already met my daily goal. This goes both ways because I can go golfing or workout or whatever and not feel guilty about taking the afternoon off (even though I am usually to tired to study when I get home from work anyways).

Hope this helps!

SO TRUE!
    I love that when I get my two hours out the way in the morning .. I'm done and I'm not stressing about needing to study when I get home or feeling guilty if something comes up and I can't do it. Because let's face it when you're working full time and have a life something ALWAYS comes up. If you can study in the morning, I'd definitely recommend it.

• nslowry912nslowry912 Member
    edited June 2017 27 karma

I'm also working full time and preparing to take the LSAT, but because I'm working full time I've kept my target test date much further out to manage work, studying, and living my life (I'm also a musician, and that takes up a large portion of my free time). I started studying in September 2016 (was doing ~10 hours a week throughout the fall, which worked out well with gaining a solid LG foundation) and I'm aiming for June 2018 (and maybe February 2018). I've noticed that allowing myself more time is not only helping manage the stress, but also allows the various ideas and concepts to marinate further. These days I'm studying when I can during the week, but always for at least 1.5 hours each day over the weekend. I think a lot about the basic concepts throughout the week and try to implement them into my daily life, whether that's reading articles online as if they are LR/RC questions and identifying MP, premises, support, argument structure etc, or reading emails at work and translating basic everyday sentence structure into lawgic when applicable to work on conditional logic.

My suggestion for you would be to allow yourself more time to learn the material to the best of your abilities before confining yourself to a test date in the near future. I'm 4 years out of college, and will be 6 years out by the time I would be entering law school. I think many people get caught up in the timing of everything and confine themselves into a small box. Given that you have the ability to be flexible, take advantage of it to mitigate the effects of preparing for the LSAT while working full time on your mental health and personal relationships.