Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Locked] A warning: TLS is no longer stable, be careful of misinformation!

2»

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited February 2018 23929 karma

@jacksonmike046 said:

@Alex said: people are just generally oversensitive when they're presented with honest advice.

@Alex said:
    You'd be hard pressed to find all these terrible, elitist, rude people. They simply don't exist.

@Alex said:
    Who are all these awful, mean, condescending people on TLS? I'm genuinely curious how after all these years I've largely missed them. (Lucky me, I guess?)

@Alex said: Thanks Mr. Pacifico! I appreciate all the help I get on here. I come from TLS where often replies are negative and nasty under the guise of being "honest". Honesty is important, but around here you can get honesty kindly. :)>

You can say one or another, but you can't say both without it being the textbook version of "hypocritical". It does nothing but make yourself look good. On one hand, you said people are just super sensitive and can't handle honesty, yet on the other, you said the replies on TLS are just nasty under the disguise of "honesty". So which one is it? On the one hand you questioned who these negative people on TLS are, and stated you must have missed them all these years, or they simply don't exist, but on the other, you quoted their replies as negative and nasty, so which one is it? You're saying different things to different people at different times. When you were trying to fit in at 7sage, you talked shit about TLS, but now you're in, you give this MLK "mic dropping" speech to make yourself look good. I've got nothing against you, but I do have something against these kind of actions. This type of behavior needs to be called out. I know this post will be removed and I'll probably get banned by 7sage for telling the truth by calling you out, but I've got to do the right thing. It's actually a good thing for the 7sage forum.

If anyone wants to verify, feel free to go to his first post under profile ("How would the Sages recommend I incorporate The LSAT Trainer?") and check it out for yourself before it gets edited away.

When I wrote the original post, I think I was probably trying to fit in. Who wants to be persona non grata? I definitely think that's part of why it sounds so hypocritical reading it now.

There are often nasty/negative replies on TLS under the guise of being honest - I've never disputed that. What I do disagree with is saying that TLS was made up of a majority of awful, terrible, rude, elitist people. There's a difference, and I think that distinction is important. I've also said numerous times (not just on this thread) that of course there are examples of terrible people on there. I just think the people who leave many of those comments are extremely rare. Again, my issue is with characterizing the entirety of TLS that way.

For the record, I also do prefer 7Sage's approach of getting that same honest advice kindly. The two ideas aren't mutually exclusive. It's why I came here originally and why I've stuck around. It's why I left TLS and supported the creation of lawschoollife and am part of the inclusion/diversity board to make it a kinder and more inclusive place.

• jacksonmike046jacksonmike046 Free Trial Member
    5 karma

First of all, you can fit in by being genuine and helpful; you don’t have to “fit in” by badmouthing your own community, unless you think that is something 7sage would want to hear, which I’m not sure why you think that would be the case.

I did not put words in your mouth, I quoted you, and I did not quote you out of context. You can play with syntax and the subtleties between “negative people” and “negative replies” here all you want, but the fact is that pretty much most people, if not all, reading that comment will not make the distinction you are currently articulating, and you know it. And most people, if not all, would think negatively of TLS as a whole (I know I did, and everyone I know of who read that comment feels the exact same way), by reading that comment, and you know it, which is against what you are saying here about “characterizing the entirety of TLS”.

Again, I have nothing against you as a person, only issues with this type of behavior.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited February 2018 23929 karma

@jacksonmike046 said:
    First of all, you can fit in by being genuine and helpful; you don’t have to “fit in” by badmouthing your own community, unless you think that is something 7sage would want to hear, which I’m not sure why you think that would be the case.

I did not put words in your mouth, I quoted you, and I did not quote you out of context. You can play with syntax and the subtleties between “negative people” and “negative replies” here all you want, but the fact is that pretty much most people, if not all, reading that comment will not make the distinction you are currently articulating, and you know it. And most people, if not all, would think negatively of TLS as a whole (I know I did, and everyone I know of who read that comment feels the exact same way), by reading that comment, and you know it, which is against what you are saying here about “characterizing the entirety of TLS”.

Again, I have nothing against you as a person, only issues with this type of behavior.

I think I have been genuine and helpful. I don't appreciate you attributing motives to me which I do not have. I didn't bad mouth TLS, I just made an observation. One I stand behind to this day. I also don't think the difference between people and posts are a matter of mere syntax and subtlety. You can go back to several other posts in this same thread where I've conceded that TLS wasn't perfect. But I think it's patently absurd to make generalizations claiming that TLS as a whole was a majority of terrible people. My issue here is about painting a community of people in a negative light. I've made negative posts on TLS. Almost all active users have. But I didn't appreciate the negative generalizations of the community as a whole.

Most people reading that may have thought I was equating the two. I'm here to tell you I wasn't. Then again, most people also have lives and don't go through my posts from almost two years ago. Which brings me to another point entirely. The post was from August 2016. People change. Views change. TLS changed. I know I have...

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma

Good enough for me. Thanks @Alex !

Thread is locked.

This discussion has been closed.