Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5th retake?

vyasn199456vyasn199456 Member
in General 13 karma

I know I'm in a tough spot. I decide to take my first lsat without much study while I was in undergrad and scored in the 140s. After that, I decided to work for a few years post-under grad and I improved decently. 160>164>164. My most recent retake in June 2018 was supposed to be my very last one--I was hoping to score in the range of 167-171 which is the average range of my practice tests. At this point, I've been studying for the LSAT on and off for 1.5 years. My goal is to reach 170 but I'm wondering whether I've actually hit my limitations with my test.

I know this type of situation is unconventional on 7sage since most people on here are usually scoring high consistently and only need a few takes to reach their goal. I feel incredibly defeated and wonder if I should just settle for a regional school rather than aiming for T-20s. I'm not applying until next cycle, so I can potentially retake but I'd love to hear honest advice regarding my situation. I've studied with almost every practice test there is so there's also the question of having fresh study material in the event that I do decide to retake a fifth time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can offer!

Comments

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

You've hit a wall, not a ceiling. Only you can answer whether you should settle or not. But there is definitely still room for growth.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

I’m not sure that 5 takes really looks any worse than 4 to be completely honest

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    I’m not sure that 5 takes really looks any worse than 4 to be completely honest

Maybe. But it definitely doesn't look any better either....

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Since you started from the 140s the gains you made are a lot - I have seen some people plateau after retaking . But that being said if you still feel like you want to retake and have the potential to do better exhaust your options - also check out the 7sage approved tutors . But to reiterate since you focused so much energy into the lsat you should also realize there are other parts to the application (ecs letters of Rec ect ) focus on what you can improve on .

• skiatook89-1-1skiatook89-1-1 Alum Member
    175 karma

If you are achieving 170 on your PT's then it is clear you have the ability. Seems as if now it is a matter of getting more consistent. From your post it sounds as if not giving it one last try would feel like settling. I have been struggling with that myself. July2018taker said it best "only you can answer if you should settle or not." I would say it's to important to do that... You have already put so much work into it - reach for your goal... Your post has actually helped me understand that taking another test is the right thing for me to do as well... thank you for the topic.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

If your PTs are between 167 and 171 you don't have a ceiling of 164.

You should retake again.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

Another point of consideration is that schools only consider scores received within 5 years. Sooo technically I guess your 140s might not be counted as a take if it's been 5 years.

• PadawanPadawan Member
    91 karma

I know of a case where someone got into Harvard Law in the 140's, but that was a special situation, and she had top notch consultant. 160's is quite respectable and a lot of us would kill to achieve 160. While I appreciate the drive for excellence in this field, I believe there's more to being a good lawyer than an LSAT score in 170's. A lot of good lawyers and judges come from regional schools. With that said, you should do what makes you happiest.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe stay in the game, read the Spivey blog, as I'm pretty sure there's articles on this situation, and consider writing an addendum with your improvement story after this happens. It sounds like you're going to improve.

• vyasn199456vyasn199456 Member
    edited July 2018 13 karma

I'm so emotional at all your responses! You're all amazing people--thank you for taking the time to provide some advice for my situation and help me see things with a more positive perspective!

I've decided to work with a tutor to gain some insight as to why I'm hitting this wall and to keep on pushing!

• skiatook89-1-1skiatook89-1-1 Alum Member
    175 karma

Sounds like a great approach!!!!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I know you already posted an update, but just want to encourage you too. If you are PTing 167-171, then 164 is not the best you can do. You should re-take until your official score shows your actual ability. Although if you for sure want to hit 170, then you should be PTing consistently in the low to mid 170s. But if you are up to the level you already are, I think you could get there with more studying, and possibly tutoring too.

Also about your point that "most people on here are usually scoring high consistently and only need a few takes to reach their goal." Not everyone is a high scorer around these parts, and many of the high scorers also started out where you did in the 140s. In the past we've had to be more judicial about takes since it was capped at 3. It's not necessarily that people didn't have to take the test more times, but have been very cautious about when to take it since it was limited. And so, so many of us have had those moments where we get a score back and it is lackluster compared to our ability. My most recent PT was a 171 and I just got a 164 on the June test. Ugh. So many of us have been in your place and it is super frustrating. But just because we like to celebrate the wins and high scores doesn't mean we haven't been exactly in your shoes, underperforming potential or starting with lower scores. You're in good company!

• vyasn199456vyasn199456 Member
    13 karma

@"Leah M B" Very valid point! I think I get so fixated on that 170 that sometimes I fail to realize I'm not alone in my struggle and can always ask for advice (on this platform and others). Studying for the LSAT has been a really tough and isolating process for me so it really is refreshing to hear about others' experiences when they've hit a wall.

Good luck to you!

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

No question retake. Highest score is what matters

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 1777 karma

If your average PT is 167-171, there are a few things to consider. First, it is normal to score 3 points lower on exam day than on your PTs. (There have been a lot of discussions about this.) I think that if you can get your PTs to average a 169 (probably 166 on exam day), it would be worth the retake. Second, if you're going for take #5, be prepared to write an addendum explaining your 140ish score, along with why you wanted to keep taking the exam. Third, how much stress will this add to your life? If you can manage it well, retaking is probably a good decision. If not, enjoy your last summer of freedom before you're moving and prepping for your first law school class!