Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keep it up guys, one month left!

BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
edited October 2018 in General 1694 karma

LSAT rewards those who persevere, and what is life if not one long journey of perseverance. If you want it enough, then you will be able to do it. Temper your goals though, and go about it incrementally. Getting to your goal may takes months, if not years. Have the right mindset and expectations, and you will be able to go further. There is no shortcut, only heartfelt triumphs after profound struggling.
Personally, I have a 3.0 gpa, so to get into the top schools, I must get at least a 99 percentile lsat score. At some point you realize that improving is the easy part, and trying my best not to decline, now that gets depressing. To some degree, I think one has to become obsessed, or a hermit or a monk; harnessing motivation wherever you can and finding meaning in every little thing in life, good and bad, and devoting ungodly amounts of time to this seemingly marathon without end.
In another perspective, if you can get through this, you can just about get through anything. This is why the LSAT can be a good indicator and preparation for law school. Add oil!

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Did you also post this as a comment somewhere?

• cadebiyi1cadebiyi1 Alum Member
    37 karma

Thank you! I'm getting anxiety this post means alot.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

"Personally, I have a 3.0 gpa, so to get into the top schools, I must get at least a 99 percentile lsat score"
    What? Pretty sure only 2 schools have medians that are at or above 99th percentile.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

@10000019 said:
    "Personally, I have a 3.0 gpa, so to get into the top schools, I must get at least a 99 percentile lsat score"
    What? Pretty sure only 2 schools have medians that are at or above 99th percentile.

Well Bamboo said his/her GPA is 3.0, meaning he/she needs to score that much higher on the LSAT to make up for the GPA.

3279 karma

@tekken1225 said:

@10000019 said:

Well Bamboo said his/her GPA is 3.0, meaning he/she needs to score that much higher on the LSAT to make up for the GPA.

Says who? Being at the median is the most important thing.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@10000019

Says who? Being at the median is the most important thing.

Splitterdom is an unpredictable and unforgiving realm where compensation is key. Reaching the median, unfortunately, provides far less security when your GPA is below the median.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@keets993 said:
    Did you also post this as a comment somewhere?

Oh, maybe. I might have posted as a reply to someone and then thought that I should share it with others.

1694 karma

@cadebiyi1 said:
    Thank you! I'm getting anxiety this post means alot.

<3

1694 karma

@10000019 said:

yeah, but I already have a 96 percentile, and using the calculators with that score, I have about a 3% or something of getting into most top law schools. I need at least a 99 percentile to get about a 10% chance.

3279 karma

@Bamboosprout said:

@10000019 said:

yeah, but I already have a 96 percentile, and using the calculators with that score, I have about a 3% or something of getting into most top law schools. I need at least a 99 percentile to get about a 10% chance.

Calculators are garbage. Only the median LSAT is used in rankings. I doubt there is much of a difference between 50th and 75th.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@10000019 said:

@Bamboosprout said:

@10000019 said:

Calculators are garbage. Only the median LSAT is used in rankings. I doubt there is much of a difference between 50th and 75th.

While I agree that calculators are garbage, there is plenty of evidence that shows your chances can increase substantially when comparing a 167 to172. Especially for splitters who are way below the median gpa. I don’t think you can calculate how much you chances go up but the money awarded certainly goes up as well.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited October 2018 770 karma

@Bamboosprout said:

@10000019 said:

D you think it's worth it to apply to schools where 7Sage Law School Predictor tool gives me at least a 10% chance? At what percentage do you have a realistic chance of getting admitted, so you should go ahead and apply? And at what percentage is it not even worth applying?

Trying to decide what I should do.

• keepcalmandneuronkeepcalmandneuron Alum Member
    470 karma

@tekken1225 said:

@Bamboosprout said:

@10000019 said:

D you think it's worth it to apply to schools where 7Sage Law School Predictor tool gives me at least a 10% chance? At what percentage do you have a realistic chance of getting admitted, so you should go ahead and apply? And at what percentage is it not even worth applying?

I've heard from other forums that it's worth applying (worth your money even if you don't get a fee waiver) if you have at least 30% chance at that school. Anything below that would have more insignificant differences in chance (ie. 30 vs 50% and 10% vs 30%, you get the idea) But this really depends on personal choice right?

For me, even if I have 10% chance in a top law school, I'm hauling my a$$, time and money to apply. Widely and broadly is the way (also keeping in mind top schools require special essays and whatnot which could take up more energy and time so multi-tasking is key).

1694 karma

@tekken1225 said:

@Bamboosprout said:

@10000019 said:

Only you really know, since only you know how you value your opportunities. For my case, I have other opportunities in finance that are quite good, and do not require paying 200k and 3 years of my life, so my opportunity cost for law school is quite high. For me, unless I make it into a T14 school with a program that I'm interested in, I think it's not worth going to, so why even apply? Therefore, I only apply to certain schools, even though my chances are below 10%. And if I can't get into any, then that's just that. I don't go to law school. End of story. I continue my life in finance, and live contented that I explored this option.

1694 karma

@10000019 said:

@Bamboosprout said:

@10000019 said:

Hahaha, I hope you're right. <3

1694 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:

@10000019 said:

@Bamboosprout said:

@10000019 said:

While I agree that calculators are garbage, there is plenty of evidence that shows your chances can increase substantially when comparing a 167 to172. Especially for splitters who are way below the median gpa. I don’t think you can calculate how much you chances go up but the money awarded certainly goes up as well.

Yeah, the truth is probably somewhere between what @10000019 said and what I said initially.

• Harvey_lHarvey_l Alum Member
    268 karma

I heard the mylsn calculator is a far more reliable indicator of law school chances?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited October 2018 9377 karma

@Bamboosprout @tekken1225

7Sage's Law School Predictor doesn't use law school medians to calculate your chances; it uses historical data from Law School Numbers. 7Sage trained it by plugging in about 400,000 self-reported results and then creating a regression model. What it's telling you is that based on (self-reported) LSN data, we would expect about 10% of people with your numbers to get into that school.

Sometimes the model's predictions accord with predictions we make based on the schools medians; sometimes they don't. Since the model is based on a logistic regression and not on our intuition (except insofar as our intuition dictated how we created the regression in the first place), we actually don't know why it gives certain results.

It could be that the school you're looking at is very selective. The school gets thousands of applicants, so it can afford to reject lots of people above the median (even though they are also accepting lots of people below their median).

That being said, you absolutely should apply to reach schools. You have nothing to lose except for application fees!

1694 karma

@akistotle said:
    @Bamboosprout @tekken1225

7Sage's Law School Predictor doesn't use law school medians to calculate your chances; it uses historical data from Law School Numbers. 7Sage trained it by plugging in about 400,000 self-reported results and then creating a regression model. What it's telling you is that based on (self-reported) LSN data, we would expect about 10% of people with your numbers to get into that school.

Sometimes the model's predictions accord with predictions we make based on the schools medians; sometimes they don't. Since the model is based on a logistic regression and not on our intuition (except insofar as our intuition dictated how we created the regression in the first place), we actually don't know why it gives certain results.

It could be that the school you're looking at is very selective. The school gets thousands of applicants, so it can afford to reject lots of people above the median (even though they are also accepting lots of people below their median).

That being said, you absolutely should apply to reach schools. You have nothing to lose except for application fees!

Hahaha, yeah. That's exactly how I feel. I sometimes speculate, but don't sincerely try to postulate why the percentages are the way they are. I just leave that to the admissions officers and fate.

edited October 2018 1694 karma

@Harvey_l said:
    I heard the mylsn calculator is a far more reliable indicator of law school chances?

Perhaps. They probably have the large pool of data to work with, so that helps. Except the lsac calculator, of course, has more data, but doesn't have all the schools.