Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7Sage vs Powerscore

JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
in General 1532 karma

I finishing the LSAT Trainer and I am now deciding what to do next. I'm deciding between 7Sage and the Powerscore Bibles, but I'm leaning heavily towards 7Sage. Is it worth it to buy the Powerscore Bibles or should I just forgot about them and go 7Sage all the way? I'd love to hear about everyone's experiences with either.

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I think they're both good. I wouldn't use both to begin with it's too much material. I like 7sage because of the organization of the material. I'd suggest you try the 7sage trial and if you don't think it's valuable cancel and try out Powerscore.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I am biased because I have never tried Powerscore; but I finished the Trainer as well before moving to 7Sage and I think it provided a good foundation. The videos and interactive community were a welcome change from self-studying with books.

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    edited January 2018 720 karma

I'm almost done with the 7sage CC and I've read through about half of the powerscore LR bibles and looking back I wouldn't have done the bibles. I'll occasionally look at them to get a different perspective but I think JY has much, much better explanations to everything. Something about listening to him actually talk about it is just infinitely better to understand something then reading text in a book. I started with the Starter to get me going and would highly recommend it to give the course a shot!

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    1028 karma

I did all three (first Powerscore, then a combo of 7Sage and the Trainer), and found 7Sage to be vastly superior to the other two. I thought the Trainer was a wonderful supplement to 7Sage—I wish I had used it to "lay my foundation" instead of Powerscore—but can't image going through the LSAT journey without 7Sage as my primary resource.

Honestly, I believe I could have done entirely without the Powerscore series. The only one of the Bibles even slightly worth working through is the Logical Reasoning one, in my opinion. They are fine if you are in a pinch to self-study and lay out a good foundation, but if you've already done the Trainer, you'd probably benefit far more from moving straight on to 7Sage and forgetting about Powerscore. 7Sage's LG and RC curriculum is by far the best option out of these three, and I think that the Trainer's approach to LR will make supplement 7Sage's approach far better than Powerscore's.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Personally I think 7Sage is better because it teaches you faster timing techniques. Powerscore is great for fundamentals, but 7Sage teaches you the pragmatic skills to do well on test day.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Powerscore is great if you're looking for mid 150's, low 160's. 7Sage is great if you're looking for high 160's or 170+.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Emily2122 said:
    I finishing the LSAT Trainer and I am now deciding what to do next. I'm deciding between 7Sage and the Powerscore Bibles, but I'm leaning heavily towards 7Sage. Is it worth it to buy the Powerscore Bibles or should I just forgot about them and go 7Sage all the way? I'd love to hear about everyone's experiences with either.

If you've already done The LSAT Trainer then 7Sage is the way to go.

I started off with Powerscore and found it to be pretty good. 7Sage was simply better in every imaginable way. Plus, 7Sage is way more interactive and has problem sets, a comment section to see what other students are thinking, and having lessons on video makes learning a heck of a lot easier.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    edited January 2018 2124 karma

I started studying with Powerscore and although it was helpful in familiarizing myself with the exam, I didn't gain much out of it. Powerscore in my opinion provided a lot of tricks to answer questions which isn't of much benefit. When I first went through the CC, I skimmed through it because I felt I had a good understanding of the fundamentals from studying with the bibles, but I was lying to myself big time. Now, I'm studying with 7sage only and there's so much it offers that Powerscore doesn't, like grammar lessons, a supportive community etc.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I started with the Powerscore LG bible and it taught some good fundamentals but was really lacking in teaching about logic generally. It ended up leaving me confused and not really getting it in a lot of games. I switched to 7sage and found it to be vastly superior. It's much more well-rounded. I haven't used the trainer, but the sentiment around here seems to be that it complements 7sage well. PS on the other hand teaches slightly different methods and can also trip you up if you try to do both simultaneously.

7sage also includes access to printable tests and problem sets to work through, which PS does not have. I really think 7sage is the best value out there for any of the LSAT courses.

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    609 karma

tomayto toemato

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10779 karma

@Emily2122 said:

I have bought Powerscore and memorized the LR bible. The RC and LG bibles in my opinion are worthless and super unhelpful.

I also did the blueprint 3 month course while I was studying in college and I made it all the way to the "Master of death" level. Needless to say, I found them all to be limited in terms of not providing me enough resources to help me score in my goal range. I felt I hit a wall until I came to 7sage.

The core-curriculum on 7sage is awesome, but in addition to that you get extensive drill packets that have a video explanation for all the questions. From having good strategies, easy access to all the explanations for majority of the questions, to an awesome community who you can ask questions right below each lesson. You really can't beat it :)

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    328 karma

My vote is for 7Sage, because, up to the extent that I'm familiar with these two systems, the methodology of 7Sage will match up much better with what you have already learned from the LSAT Trainer. Powerscore techniques just seem really different compared to the Trainer approach (especially for RC), and if you are still at the stage of learning and solidifying strategies, jumbling up such different systems may be more counterproductive than useful. If you were to buy all three bibles the total cost starts getting kinda high too, so you wouldn't even be saving much compared to the 7Sage Starter course, so I'd definitely recommend 7Sage.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I did powerscore and trainer before 7sage and I'd say 7sage. 7sage teaches you the foundations and the skillset for success whereas I found that power score gives you more extras, like how often a question type will appear on a test or if you're running out of time, which answer choice you should circle. Which I mean probably does help but like I said, it's more extras.

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

I came to 7Sage because powerscore was confusing to me

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited January 2018 9377 karma

Oh I'd definitely pick

:star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star:7 S a g e:star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star:

https://media.giphy.com/media/KPYGkKcxOlYUE/giphy.gif

I started with PowerScore Bibles and PowerScore's in-person weekend course, but I didn't gain much from them.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

7Sage! I wish I'd become a member sooner. It's a very supportive community and the teaching is awesome.

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

I began using the Powerscore LR bible before 7Sage, and while it was helpful for understanding the logical structures of the different types of questions, I've found myself far more consistent and confident since using the 7Sage CC. Moreover, taking the time to get a strong hold on the fundamentals of logical reasoning, as is emphasized in the 7Sage, is encouraging because it feels as though I'm preparing my mind for the sorts of problems/tasks I'll encounter in law school, rather than simply learning specific techniques for the admission test. Finally, the forums are pretty snazzy!

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

I just started the 7sage CC after having been through all of the Powerscore bibles and the trainer. 7sage's logic lessons are FAR superior to those in the LR bible, so if that's your weakness then I'd definitely suggest 7sage. I honestly felt like I wasted my time with the LR and RC bibles, but the the LG bible was good to get a very basic grasp on things. One thing I disliked about the Trainer was the approach to LG because it felt overcomplicated, so I definitely would suggest trying a different approach.

JY's LG videos are also very helpful whether or not you're using PS. Since they're available for free I would suggest using them for every game you do regardless of whether you use 7sage or Powerscore.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I used the logic games bible for my first take and while it was somewhat useful spending that time on 7sage would have been more useful. Eventually, I fully assimilated to the 7sage way of doing games so you might as well start out there and avoid having to unlearn things.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

I truly appreciate all of your responses. I'm going to forget about Powerscore and buy the Starter course tomorrow. Happy Studying!