Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where's Your Favourite Place to Study?

kshutes13kshutes13 Member
edited September 2017 in General 634 karma

I was talking to my brother who wrote the GMAT last year, and he said he cannot study anywhere else but his room. He locked himself in there for weeks when he was studying. I like studying at my desk at home too, but I get crazy cabin fever and end up going a little nutty. You can tell when I've been inside for too long -- my skin gets all pale and translucent lol. I tend to study in places that force me to look presentable - i.e. a nice cafe (instead of being at home in PJs all day which usually results in me feeling kinda gross).

Where is your favourite place to study? Cafe? Library? Home? Rented office space? Just curious to see how everyone else approaches their LSAT studies :)

Comments

  • Mo ZubairMo Zubair Alum Member
    391 karma

    I’m opposite. Literally hate studying at my home desk.

    Nice libraries do the trick for me. I frequent my alma mater because because I love the library little to much. Lol

  • kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    634 karma

    @"Mo Zubair" said:
    I’m opposite. Literally hate studying at my home desk.

    Nice libraries do the trick for me. I frequent my alma mater because because I love the library little to much. Lol

    I wish. I did my undergrad at Western University in Canada and our library looks like a jail cell lmao. I don't think anyone genuinely enjoys studying here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/D_B_Weldon_Library_University_of_Western_Ontario_1.jpg

  • ChapmanECChapmanEC Alum Member
    85 karma

    I get way too distracted at home... I go to my alma mater's library (they just built an amazing new library extension!) on the weekends when I can park on campus easily. During the week, I flip in between casual restaurants and my church's student center. I go to one place (a chain called Taziki's) with great outdoor seating so much that the general manager gave me a $15 gift card the other day because when I go to study "I stay longer than most of his employees," haha. I only ever buy kids meals or a soda when I go, so $15 will go a long way! I study from around 12:30 (after I get off my part-time job) until 4:30-5, so after the lunch crowd thins out, I have the place pretty much to myself for several hours.

  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27830 karma

    I've worked in cafes since I was 18 and eventually was hired on to develop the menu and FOH service for a cafe in a renovated industrial building about 5 minutes from my house. So I'm back and forth between my home study room where I study best, and my cafe for when I'm feeling cooped up. Imagine having a cafe--5 minutes from your door--that had literally every aspect of it designed specifically to your tastes. I don't know what I'm going to do without it. I'm spoiled. It's a great place to study. (I designed it to be!)

  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27830 karma

    @kshutes13 said:

    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/D_B_Weldon_Library_University_of_Western_Ontario_1.jpg

    This is an architectural style known as brutalism. Very popular in the 70's. Wonder why they call it that?

  • kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    634 karma

    @"Cant Get Right" said:

    @kshutes13 said:

    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/D_B_Weldon_Library_University_of_Western_Ontario_1.jpg

    This is an architectural style known as brutalism. Very popular in the 70's. Wonder why they call it that?

    Hahaha that's amazing.

  • LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

    It use to be Barnes and Noble until they closed them all around me (nearest one is now at least 30 miles away). I just do all of my studying in my cubicle and at home now

  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

    I like studying at home for the most part.

    Back when I first started studying I would go to Starbucks a lot, but eventually stopped since there really wasn't a need for it. My house is usually loud and busy, so having done most of my prep at home has really helped me zone out distractions.

  • xtinextinextinextine Member
    edited September 2017 861 karma

    This is such a good question! I hate studying in my room, but I work full time so most libraries are closed by the time I leave.

    On weekends and days off, I drive 25 minutes to a university library. It's SO worth it. I love being in an academic environment and it helps me focus. This is the only place I take practice tests at.

    Alternatively, I was visiting a friend in Brooklyn recently and ended up studying in a local cafe -- it was awesome. Wish I had that local vibe near me, where there's a Starbucks every 5 miles. :neutral:

  • dncdrc_04dncdrc_04 Alum Member
    edited September 2017 152 karma

    Didn't know UWO's library didn't have any windows! I can't study at home either because I am always snacking and opening the fridge. I study at public libraries or Starbucks.

  • cmguerracmguerra Alum Member
    7 karma

    I like changing between my room, coffee shops, and the library. Sometimes my room can be distracting but if I can manage to stay focused it saves me a lot of time and/or money. If I go to the library or a coffee shop, it takes time to get ready and drive over and back. Also, if I go to a coffee shop I will purchase something. If I go to library that has a coffee shop I may end up purchasing something there. I only go to those places if i'm having trouble actually sitting down and studying.

  • Shawn NguyenShawn Nguyen Alum Member
    edited September 2017 77 karma

    I actually like studying in a cafe, because it helps me focus while people are around to keep me "accountable" even though they honestly don't care. It also helps me simulate the noise, because generally, wherever you go and take a test, there'll be some semblance of noise. Therefore, it's just another big simulation on my testing environment. I almost never study at home, because I need that separation of space to be able to fully focus. If I'm at home, I'd focus on like relaxing and stuff. I like to keep my spaces separate.

  • Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

    I usually do the public library for PTs, and for studying a mixture of at home and coffee shops. I hadn't thought of Barnes and Noble, that's a great idea! There's a coffee shop near my house that sort of looks like a traditional, old library - it's really beautiful. I think that's my favorite but they close at 6pm every day so it doesn't work for evenings. I've thought about going to the neighborhood pub, I might do that at some point too! :smiley: But this whole application process is expensive enough, so have to watch my budget if I'm going out to study haha.

  • OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I've worked in cafes since I was 18 and eventually was hired on to develop the menu and FOH service for a cafe in a renovated industrial building about 5 minutes from my house. So I'm back and forth between my home study room where I study best, and my cafe for when I'm feeling cooped up. Imagine having a cafe--5 minutes from your door--that had literally every aspect of it designed specifically to your tastes. I don't know what I'm going to do without it. I'm spoiled. It's a great place to study. (I designed it to be!)

    Ah . . . that explains the detailed knowledge of coffee brewing that you demonstrated in another post.

  • sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

    I study at the law library of a major school near me - partly bc i'm a mom and can't study at home or I want to clean lol! Other time I study at coffee shops but I don't look presentable at either.. haha

  • sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

    @"Mo Zubair" said:
    I’m opposite. Literally hate studying at my home desk.

    Nice libraries do the trick for me. I frequent my alma mater because because I love the library little to much. Lol

    haha yup me too!

  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27830 karma

    @uhinberg said:
    Ah . . . that explains the detailed knowledge of coffee brewing that you demonstrated in another post.

    Yeah, I know my stuff, haha. Voted Best Barista in the Pine Belt for four years. #hubcity #barista #coffeeordie

  • LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited September 2017 13286 karma

    @"Cant Get Right" said:

    @uhinberg said:
    Ah . . . that explains the detailed knowledge of coffee brewing that you demonstrated in another post.

    Yeah, I know my stuff, haha. Voted Best Barista in the Pine Belt for four years. #hubcity #barista #coffeeordie

    Soooo Folgers is the best coffee brand and there is no arguing it then?

    https://i.pinimg.com/236x/d8/24/8d/d8248dd31a1afeb7a5612c799139a169--folgers-coffee-madison-avenue.jpg

  • BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

    At home...but it's hard

  • kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    634 karma

    @Broccoli180 said:
    At home...but it's hard

    Feel ya it can be tough... I don't know about you, but yesterday I was deep into a lesson when suddenly my mom comes in and goes "Oh, are you studying?" to which I nodded my head and looked back at my work.

    Somehow, my mother took that as an invitation to start talking to me about renewing my health card, driver's license, passport and a plethora of other things that could have been discussed at a later point in time...

  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

    I have a desk in my room where I do most of my studying. I sometimes study at work, but I definitely prefer to just lock myself in my room and put my head down. I feel like no matter where I go, I'm going to see someone I know who will come over and start talking to me and ruin my flow. Can't be havin' thatttt :)

  • OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

    @"Cant Get Right" said:

    @uhinberg said:
    Ah . . . that explains the detailed knowledge of coffee brewing that you demonstrated in another post.

    Yeah, I know my stuff, haha. Voted Best Barista in the Pine Belt for four years. #hubcity #barista #coffeeordie

    Don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into another coffee thread, but I can't help but asking: @"Cant Get Right" Have you tried kopi luwak?

  • tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

    believe it or not, the kitchen table. I have a desk at home but I rarely use it (unless I need to pay bills or surf the web).

    Sometimes I study on the couch or the floor. I am just a weirdo.

  • tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

    @sillllyxo said:
    I study at the law library of a major school near me - partly bc i'm a mom and can't study at home or I want to clean lol! Other time I study at coffee shops but I don't look presentable at either.. haha

    I must try this. I cannot study at my alma mater because its in another state in the northeast! (I live in Washington, D.C.)

  • Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

    I'm one of the homers for sure. I get too agitated at the stupidity of most of the people in public and I think that would be a detriment to my studying. I have a dog that provides enough distractions to simulate test day, so I'd rather her annoy me and be comfy at home than get pissed off at strangers that I can't do anything about.

    Also, lol @ that library. What an awful environment.

  • CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

    At my alma maters library. I can't study at home. It's wayyy too distracting. Plus I like to distinguish atmospheres. My apartment is for fun, the library is for work. Airplane mode on my phone for 4 hours and I'm ready to go.

  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27830 karma

    @LSATcantwin said:
    Soooo Folgers is the best coffee brand and there is no arguing it then?

    https://i.pinimg.com/236x/d8/24/8d/d8248dd31a1afeb7a5612c799139a169--folgers-coffee-madison-avenue.jpg

    Hard to beat. On the last batch I had, I was picking up on notes of burnt hair, wet cardboard, and clown tears. An excellent crop.

    @uhinberg said:
    Don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into another coffee thread, but I can't help but asking: @"Cant Get Right" Have you tried kopi luwak?

    Yep. I don't get the big deal honestly. Some have hypothesized that the reason it was long considered so superior is because the civets only eat ripe cherries, making them a good source of quality control compared to large scale commercial farmers. This makes a lot of sense to me, and I now exclusively drink coffee from discriminating farmers that doesn't need to be picked out of monkey poop.

  • sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

    @uhinberg said:

    @"Cant Get Right" said:

    @uhinberg said:
    Ah . . . that explains the detailed knowledge of coffee brewing that you demonstrated in another post.

    Yeah, I know my stuff, haha. Voted Best Barista in the Pine Belt for four years. #hubcity #barista #coffeeordie

    Don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into another coffee thread, but I can't help but asking: @"Cant Get Right" Have you tried kopi luwak?

    kopi luwak is terrible read about it - civets are kept in cages and force fed cherries; from an animal right's perspective it is abhorrent

  • Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

    I like to study at home. I can't study in a public place because I'm nosy and love to people watch.

  • OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

    @sillllyxo said:

    @uhinberg said:

    @"Cant Get Right" said:

    @uhinberg said:
    Ah . . . that explains the detailed knowledge of coffee brewing that you demonstrated in another post.

    Yeah, I know my stuff, haha. Voted Best Barista in the Pine Belt for four years. #hubcity #barista #coffeeordie

    Don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into another coffee thread, but I can't help but asking: @"Cant Get Right" Have you tried kopi luwak?

    kopi luwak is terrible read about it - civets are kept in cages and force fed cherries; from an animal right's perspective it is abhorrent

    I've never tasted it, nor was I advocating for drinking it.

  • sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

    @uhinberg said:

    @sillllyxo said:

    @uhinberg said:

    @"Cant Get Right" said:

    @uhinberg said:
    Ah . . . that explains the detailed knowledge of coffee brewing that you demonstrated in another post.

    Yeah, I know my stuff, haha. Voted Best Barista in the Pine Belt for four years. #hubcity #barista #coffeeordie

    Don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into another coffee thread, but I can't help but asking: @"Cant Get Right" Have you tried kopi luwak?

    kopi luwak is terrible read about it - civets are kept in cages and force fed cherries; from an animal right's perspective it is abhorrent

    I've never tasted it, nor was I advocating for drinking it.

    I wasn't insinuating either just chiming in since I came across that question in the curriculum the other day and looked into it ! :)

  • Sandy100Sandy100 Member
    17 karma

    I have a desk and a couch in my room so I lock myself in there and study. My room looks like a library with a bed. I get too distracted at the library and I spend way too much money on snacks at the cafe. I eat at home.

  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

    I used to only be able to study at Starbucks ... I'm one of those people needs a little noise and visuals when I study and our apartment was too small for me to carve out a space of my own. But now that we've moved to a larger space, we have a dedicated office that I use. I really miss my Starbucks sessions (again noise and visuals) but I always feel guilty if I don't buy anything while I'm studying and those $5 coffees were adding up!

    I like the idea of a college library that some people mentioned. I may try that since there are so many colleges in the area.

  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

    law school library.

  • BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

    @kshutes13 hahaha...watch her start talking about your future child's birth certificate. Yeah.. I get distracted a lot.. I find myself doing stupid stuff.... organizing the desk all of sudden... talking to my pets...

  • NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    620 karma

    Library for sure. I need a sterile cell of a room with a no.2 pencil, my notebook, printed out LR questions, Ipad (for the explanations), and noise cancelling headphones then 3-4 hours fly by. I go to Starbucks time to time to train myself to focus in chaos.

  • Sara_3080Sara_3080 Alum Member
    432 karma

    I CANNOT study at home. I hop from coffee shop to coffee shop :) I'm at a coffee shop to study every single day. Occasionally I'll go to a library but sometimes they can just get too quiet for me.

  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2017 2098 karma

    My law school library!!

  • bear.hbear.h Member
    6 karma

    Studying at home/dorm is the best way to go, but nonetheless I still get distracted (slightly worried that I might have ADHD lol). I saved up for Sony's MDR-1000x and it was the best decision of my life. The noise-cancelling works wonders for me thus increasing my ability to focus on PT.

  • m.reyes2607m.reyes2607 Alum Member
    20 karma

    Hello everybody!! this is my first time commenting in the blog.. I love to study in the University library in the "quite zone" because I cannot get distracted with anything. I CANNOT study at home because I start doing other things and I eat a lot hahaha... nothing better than to be in a place where everybody is studying..

  • kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    634 karma

    @"m.reyes2607" said:
    Hello everybody!! this is my first time commenting in the blog.. I love to study in the University library in the "quite zone" because I cannot get distracted with anything. I CANNOT study at home because I start doing other things and I eat a lot hahaha... nothing better than to be in a place where everybody is studying..

    Welcome to the discussion page!! :smile: and I feel you on the eating thing.... I'll be 15lbs heavier by the time the December LSAT rolls around!

  • thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited March 2019 1363 karma

    @"Cant Get Right" said:

    @kshutes13 said:

    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/D_B_Weldon_Library_University_of_Western_Ontario_1.jpg

    This is an architectural style known as brutalism. Very popular in the 70's. Wonder why they call it that?

    I believe there were a couple of reasons why. First, it's the 'honest' and minimalist nature of the architecture itself - the brutalist approach was essentially was about stripping off any unnecessary flourishes and rather 'showing off' of the materials from which the building was made (concrete, rough surfacing, etc). Secondly, part of the rationale behind the appellation was derived from the economic times it coincided with - several countries were crawling out of economic depression + the horrors of WWII, so they sought inexpensive construction methods as means to reinvest in their economies. In this sense, it was the 'brutal' times that created a demand for minimalist architecture and provided a cost-effective strategy to invest in infrastructure - ergo being a symbol of hope.

  • LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited October 2017 13286 karma

    @thisissparta said:

    @"Cant Get Right" said:

    @kshutes13 said:

    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/D_B_Weldon_Library_University_of_Western_Ontario_1.jpg

    This is an architectural style known as brutalism. Very popular in the 70's. Wonder why they call it that?

    I believe there were a couple of reasons why. First, it's the 'honest' and minimalist nature of the architecture itself - the brutalist approach was essentially was about stripping off any unnecessary flourishes and rather 'showing off' of the materials from which the building was made - concrete, rough surfacing, etc. Secondly, part of the rationale behind the appellation was derived from the economic times it coincided with - several countries were crawling out of economic depression + the horrors of WWII, so they sought inexpensive construction methods as means to reinvest in their economies. In this sense, it was the 'brutal' times that created a demand for minimalist architecture and provided a cost-effective strategy to invest in infrastructure - ergo being a symbol of hope.

    The author of this passage would be most likely to agree with witch of the following?
    A.) Brutalism was the only way a government could create hope for it citizens.
    B.) After WWII people needed symbols of hope.
    C.) Countries after WWII tried to find ways to reinvest in their economies.
    D.) Brutalism, unlike Victorian architecture, was designed to show off.
    E.) Judical Candor.

  • thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    1363 karma

    @LSATcantwin said:

    @thisissparta said:

    @"Cant Get Right" said:

    @kshutes13 said:

    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/D_B_Weldon_Library_University_of_Western_Ontario_1.jpg

    This is an architectural style known as brutalism. Very popular in the 70's. Wonder why they call it that?

    I believe there were a couple of reasons why. First, it's the 'honest' and minimalist nature of the architecture itself - the brutalist approach was essentially was about stripping off any unnecessary flourishes and rather 'showing off' of the materials from which the building was made - concrete, rough surfacing, etc. Secondly, part of the rationale behind the appellation was derived from the economic times it coincided with - several countries were crawling out of economic depression + the horrors of WWII, so they sought inexpensive construction methods as means to reinvest in their economies. In this sense, it was the 'brutal' times that created a demand for minimalist architecture and provided a cost-effective strategy to invest in infrastructure - ergo being a symbol of hope.

    The author of this passage would be most likely to agree with witch of the following?
    A.) Brutalism was the only way a government could create hope for it citizens.
    B.) After WWII people needed symbols of hope.
    C.) Countries after WWII tried to find ways to reinvest in their economies.
    D.) Brutalism, unlike Victorian architecture, was designed to show off.
    E.) Judical Candor.

    At work rn and I just LOLed rather loud. Lost it at AC E.

  • LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

    @thisissparta said:

    @LSATcantwin said:

    @thisissparta said:

    @"Cant Get Right" said:

    @kshutes13 said:

    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/D_B_Weldon_Library_University_of_Western_Ontario_1.jpg

    This is an architectural style known as brutalism. Very popular in the 70's. Wonder why they call it that?

    I believe there were a couple of reasons why. First, it's the 'honest' and minimalist nature of the architecture itself - the brutalist approach was essentially was about stripping off any unnecessary flourishes and rather 'showing off' of the materials from which the building was made - concrete, rough surfacing, etc. Secondly, part of the rationale behind the appellation was derived from the economic times it coincided with - several countries were crawling out of economic depression + the horrors of WWII, so they sought inexpensive construction methods as means to reinvest in their economies. In this sense, it was the 'brutal' times that created a demand for minimalist architecture and provided a cost-effective strategy to invest in infrastructure - ergo being a symbol of hope.

    The author of this passage would be most likely to agree with witch of the following?
    A.) Brutalism was the only way a government could create hope for it citizens.
    B.) After WWII people needed symbols of hope.
    C.) Countries after WWII tried to find ways to reinvest in their economies.
    D.) Brutalism, unlike Victorian architecture, was designed to show off.
    E.) Judical Candor.

    At work rn and I just LOLed rather loud. Lost it at AC E.

    Lol I too am at work, and currently fairly bored if you can not tell!

  • kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    634 karma

    @thisissparta said:

    @"Cant Get Right" said:

    @kshutes13 said:

    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/D_B_Weldon_Library_University_of_Western_Ontario_1.jpg

    This is an architectural style known as brutalism. Very popular in the 70's. Wonder why they call it that?

    I believe there were a couple of reasons why. First, it's the 'honest' and minimalist nature of the architecture itself - the brutalist approach was essentially was about stripping off any unnecessary flourishes and rather 'showing off' of the materials from which the building was made - concrete, rough surfacing, etc. Secondly, part of the rationale behind the appellation was derived from the economic times it coincided with - several countries were crawling out of economic depression + the horrors of WWII, so they sought inexpensive construction methods as means to reinvest in their economies. In this sense, it was the 'brutal' times that created a demand for minimalist architecture and provided a cost-effective strategy to invest in infrastructure - ergo being a symbol of hope.

    Also, if I recall correctly, the style is named after the french term béton brut, which just means raw concrete!

    ~procrastination station~

  • Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

    I've never understood how people sit outside with their laptops and study. The glare from the sun is just too overwhelming. There's also just a lot of places that feel incredibly uncomfortable and I don't understand how people study for hours criss cross apple sauce. I can't emphasis enough how much I hate sitting down, but when I have too I really like the bottom floor of my university's main library.

  • Sim SimmaSim Simma Alum Member
    168 karma

    @tringo335 said:
    I used to only be able to study at Starbucks ... I'm one of those people needs a little noise and visuals when I study and our apartment was too small for me to carve out a space of my own. But now that we've moved to a larger space, we have a dedicated office that I use. I really miss my Starbucks sessions (again noise and visuals) but I always feel guilty if I don't buy anything while I'm studying and those $5 coffees were adding up!

    I like the idea of a college library that some people mentioned. I may try that since there are so many colleges in the area.

    Lol I always go there but never buy anything.

  • Harvey DentHarvey Dent Alum Member
    81 karma

    A park bench with desk under a shade in a nice neighborhood with low foot traffic does wonders for me when I’ve grown tired of my study spots.

Sign In or Register to comment.