Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Motivational movie recommendations?

beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
in Off-topic 555 karma

Already have Legally Blonde down :)

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

Do they have to be law related?

• beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
    555 karma
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited June 2018 8689 karma

I watched the James Cameron documentary about going to the deep ocean I found it very motivating, partly because the whole thing terrified me, lol.

Although not a movie, I came across this clip last night about Point Nemo, found it motivating, poetic as well. Point Nemo is the most isolated place someone can be on earth.

"Hidden Figures" is excellent and motivational.

But for my go to motivation I've got to go with Bloodsport starring Jean Claude Van Damme. If you've never watched it, just go into it with an open mind.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited June 2018 1804 karma

Avengers: Infinity War
    The Mist
    Planet of the Apes (1968)

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    807 karma

Forrest Gump :smile:

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

The replacements with Keanu reeves. Wonderful story about people being given a second chance. In a similar stream, I find spy with Melissa McCarthy inspiring as well.

I love hidden figures!

You know what i find highly motivating, the Olympics. They've dedicated at least 4 years of their lives to just those precious few seconds or minutes. In comparison, a year or so studying for a 3-4 hour test doesn't seem that bad.

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    edited June 2018 333 karma

One of my most favorite movies is The Lincoln Lawyer. I just watched it for like the 10th time last weekend and it was pretty motivating. Not necessarily because I want to be a lawyer like the one in the movie, but more-so because it's law-related.

1804 karma

...Seriously though, Bridge of Spies can be quite absorbing.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

LoL @FixedDice. Nice list!

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

@keets993 said:
    The replacements with Keanu reeves. Wonderful story about people being given a second chance. In a similar stream, I find spy with Melissa McCarthy inspiring as well.

yassssss. i love keanu reeves. i plan to marry him. i also concur with watching the replacements!!

edited June 2018 2689 karma

Rocky movies, of course. Even the sound tracks have some pretty good motivators. Let's face it... it can feel like being the little man in a massive fight with this stupid test. :)
    Sounds weird, but Aliens has always been one for me. It was the first sci-fi action movie that portrayed strong female characters. Ripley takes matters into her own hands, faces her fears, and kicks ass.
    I may just be weird, tho.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

I've totally rec'd this before, but I absolutely loved The Martian!

@FixedDice said:

Avengers: Infinity War
    The Mist
    Planet of the Apes (1968)

lol I came out of Infinity War emotionally WRECKED. it gave you motivation?? :lol:

• 5MoreMinPlease5MoreMinPlease Yearly Member
    128 karma

I think 300 is pretty good for motivation. That fierce grasp he had for his goal is something we should all develop while studying for this test haha

6045 karma

@FixedDice one time we aren't in sync. Infinity war??? I guess it's motivating in terms of Thanos' story? That's all I'll say in case of potential spoilers.

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    620 karma

Inglourious Basterds

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    609 karma

kill bill

• demiiisodaaademiiisodaaa Alum Member
    131 karma

Not sure if it's "motivating" but I love watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Classic escape movie lol

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Not sure if I'd classify it as motivational, but the Pelican Brief is hands down one of my favorite law-related movies. And, I've watched it a couple times as I've been studying to keep up my motivation. :)

• beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
    555 karma

Thanks everyone! Can’t wait to watch these.

Also just saw Adrift in theatres. Definition of motivational

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

@keets993 said:
    @FixedDice one time we aren't in sync. Infinity war??? I guess it's motivating in terms of Thanos' story? That's all I'll say in case of potential spoilers.

I took a personality test, and I am most similar to Thanos...

6045 karma

@teamteamvicster did you find the movie inspirational then?

1804 karma

What baffles me is the fact that you seem to be fine with the idea of The Mist and Planet of the Apes being motivational movies. @keets993 @xtinextine

6045 karma

@FixedDice I haven't really seen the mist so can't comment on that. Planet of the Apes is motivating, it should be motivational for scientists to treat animals better and be more mindful of their research.

• Sarri BallSarri Ball Alum Member
    74 karma

Dead Poets Society

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

300 & 300: Rise of an Empire

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

The Theory of Everything - the life Hawking lived after being diagnosed with ALS and everything he accomplished is mind-boggling. Also inspiring, his wife raised three kids and graduated with her PhD while caring for Hawking. Watching the movie empowered me!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    edited June 2018 3679 karma

While I've yet to see it (plan to this week) I imagine RBG will be a pretty motivating movie for me at this time in my studies. I also like the Pursuit of Happyness. One of the best scenes below:

• Simple ManSimple Man Alum Member
    448 karma

Men of Honor

2689 karma

@tringo335 That is a good one.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

@teamteamvicster said:
    I took a personality test, and I am most similar to Thanos...

But...were you spared by Thanos? (check here) http://www.didthanoskill.me/
    (also I need to find out where to take this personality test)

@FixedDice said:
    What baffles me is the fact that you seem to be fine with the idea of The Mist and Planet of the Apes being motivational movies. @keets993 @xtinextine

lol good point. but I'm also in the same boat of not having seen The Mist. I've never actually fully watched Planet of the Apes either come to think of it...

2689 karma

The Mist was the one movie that my husband was upset about, because I didn't warn him ahead of time, and he watched it and hates movies that end like that. LoL And yes, I laughed pretty hard. We both still do years later.
    Let's just say I'm pretty sure it was meant as a funny suggestion.

• LSATSurvivorLSATSurvivor Alum Member
    edited June 2018 228 karma

Somehow I found war movies are great for motivation.

The King's Speech
    The Great Dictator - Charlie Chaplin
    Das Boot
    The Pianist

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

Hacksaw Ridge had me in tears. I forbid myself from watching it with other people. It's probably the best movie I've seen in a few years, yet it gets very little publicity.

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

• iamcardibriiamcardibri Alum Member
    314 karma

Late to the party but I have a few suggestions lol

1) Sports movies where the underdog wins or overcomes significant obstacles. Perhaps "Friday Night Lights", "Cool Runnings" or "Rocky" haha these will get you out of your seat for sure. You may even feel so motivated to take a brisk 10 mile jog before sitting down to study.

2) A badass historical drama where, again, the underdogs save the day. Think "Hidden Figures" or "The Imitation Game" or something to that extent.

3) Third, a legal thriller might get you in that ~lawyer mood~ Many popular legal/CSI type shows are complete trash (though still entertaining) but there are a few out there worth watching. The Confession Tapes on Netflix is a good. Or better yet, rent Crown Heights on youtube and you will be ready to fight injustice without a law degree. SO GOOD, I should have listed this movie first.

4) Finally, TED talks are always pretty awesome. Everyone and their mother has seen the Simon Sinek one about "people don't buy what you do they buy why you do it" but this one is my personal fave: https://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius

I find her relationship with writing very similar to my relationship with logical reasoning lol

Enjoy!!!

• 362 karma

Coach carter, hidden figures, warrior, the blind side, 8 mile, pursuit of happyness, the freedom writers, and southpaw.

• lchaath1lchaath1 Alum Member
    37 karma

Friday night lights!

• Frank JaegerFrank Jaeger Alum Member
    144 karma

@FixedDice said:
    ...Seriously though, Bridge of Spies can be quite absorbing.

Great movie.

• mrbuttonsmrbuttons Alum Member
    179 karma

A good motivational movie when it comes to taking an exam is Stand and Deliver

• skiatook89-1-1skiatook89-1-1 Alum Member
    175 karma

Based on a true story "Hoosiers" is one of the most motivating movies you will ever watch. It reminds us of how powerful practice, discipline, and believing in yourself can be. When no one else thinks you can do it, when all odds are against you, when you think you can't win, just remember the hard work you put in and always bet on yourself!

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

After "Wonder Woman" because Amazons (sigh) (real or not), my repeatable must-see motivational movie is "Invincible" with Mark Wahlberg.

• KevinA14KevinA14 Alum Member
    71 karma

@beezmoof Watch Gary Vee on Youtube

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

THE RBG DOCUMENTARY 110%