Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When the Dean calls you...

When you get that wonderful call from the Dean of one of your top choices offering you admission, do you send a thank you email? I really am appreciative and happy; but is there a protocol to these things?

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Congrats!! are you ever going to share which school(s) you applied to?! I don't think there's any particular protocol. Your biggest thank you would be attending the school.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Hey! Congrats dude!! I say a handwritten note mailed pronto. No one does that anymore and I think it would be a nice thing to do. This is so exciting!! Love hearing good news like this : ).

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

@oshun1 The school in question is a regional school that places well where I live. As its early in the cycle, I don't want to jinx myself by making a list.

@LCMama2017 Funny you bring up handwriting notes. I did this for one of my school visits that particularly impressed me. The bad thing about it is my hand writing is atrocious, like makes me look uneducated bad. My wife and 10 year old daughter both have much better handwriting than I do. However, because this particular admissions person specifically said that she reads the LSAT writing samples, I knew I couldn't have one of them write it for me.

• Ellie0257Ellie0257 Member
    200 karma

Congratulations!! So exciting!!

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

Envy you :-)

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

Wow, that’s amazing. I’d do a handwritten note or even send some flowers.

• cdaddario2cdaddario2 Member
    362 karma

That is just 'Effin Awesome. Own it and enjoy the accolade. You worked hard to earn it.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

Congrats!!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    @oshun1 The school in question is a regional school that places well where I live. As its early in the cycle, I don't want to jinx myself by making a list.

@LCMama2017 Funny you bring up handwriting notes. I did this for one of my school visits that particularly impressed me. The bad thing about it is my hand writing is atrocious, like makes me look uneducated bad. My wife and 10 year old daughter both have much better handwriting than I do. However, because this particular admissions person specifically said that she reads the LSAT writing samples, I knew I couldn't have one of them write it for me.

lol, that's funny. Totally hear you - def send some sort of thank you to the dean even if by email. So nice to call you directly.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

Congrats!!!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Congrats!!!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

An email sounds good, but so does a snail mail note. And celebrate!

• Sarri BallSarri Ball Alum Member
    74 karma

if you're worried about the legibility of your handwriting, perhaps type your thank you message and print it on a nice personal letterhead.

congratulations!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think a short thank you email is fine, but none is expected. I'm assuming you expressed gratitude on the call as well of course, haha. So, you don't need to do anything too big.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Oh and of course, CONGRATS!! :)

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

Congratulations!

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

Congrats! That has to be one of the best feelings ever lol

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    When you get that wonderful call from the Dean of one of your top choices offering you admission, do you send a thank you email? I really am appreciative and happy; but is there a protocol to these things?

I think you definitely should write to them in whatever form you feel appropriate. I remember reading a blog from a lawschool consultant who used to work in admissions that deans get a kick out of making a student's day and that they love a sincere response, and through that, you can perhaps even build a long term relationship with him or her. It depends on the school, but not everyone gets a call from the dean for their acceptance, so run with this opportunity, even if it might not go anywhere.

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

Great for you. I'd vote for a very short, handwritten note.